Hello from Honduras!

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Countdown!

My flight is just hours away, at 6am on October 8, 2005. I am so excited! My brother came home from NY to see me off. My family went out to dinner together - it's been a while since we've all been home to do that. As frustrated as I might get with my family, I am continually awed at how blessed I am to have them in my life. They've supported me this far, and they will continue to support me every step of my future - what a blessing!

I am very curious about what exactly awaits me in Honduras. The most important thing to keep in mind is flexibility. As with most things in my life, I am prepared for the worst but expecting the best. I know I will be doing something related to medicine and public health, but the exact agenda will undoubtedly change day to day. A rough idea of what I will be doing:
- help set up a pediatric clinic at the LAMB Institute
- work at the local public health centers
- travel with medical teams to rural areas to service the people who do not have easy access to the clinics in the major cities

In general, I am hoping for a first-hand look at/experience with medicine in a developing area. Actually, it's not just the medical experience I desire... It's also important to me to live beside people who are underserved in this world. Sure, I can read books about other countries and listen to the stories of other people who have traveled there, but I will never fully understand until I have lived that life. I have so much respect for people like Mother Teresa, who gave her entire life to serving the underserved. Would I be able to do that? I don't know... This time I am spending in Honduras is so brief. I know at the end I have a comfortable life in the U.S. to return to. I know there are people who love me and care about my well-being. I know I have a future ahead of me and the potential to accomplish many of the dreams I have. I am at a very exciting and overwhelming stage in life right now. The possibilities seem endless! Maybe I will end up moving to a developing country, opening up a clinic, and spending the rest of my life there... Maybe I will live in the U.S., make money, gain credibility, and contribute in a more indirect (but essential) way through funds or political influence... Maybe I will do a little bit of both... Whatever actually does happen (might be totally different from anything I think up), I am eager to accept the challenges and opportunites.

But going back to the immediate future...

For those of you who have expressed certain worries about my traveling abroad, I hope it is of some assurance to know that though I am idealistic and perhaps a bit adventurous, I am not as naive as you might think. I promise to be smart about things. I know one flaw of mine is I sometimes act like I am omnipotent/omniscient, but inside I doubt myself all the time and wonder if I am really capable of handling certain challenges and if I really know anything useful at all. This self-doubt, I believe, serves a purpose - and a good one at that. I am constantly analyzing and re-evaluating myself, and more importantly, changing things that really need to be changed. Arguably another flaw is I love people "too much"! (My mom, for instance, worries that I love and trust people too easily! oh, mom :) But, I am also weary and guarded at the same time. Those of you who know me well know that I am a walking polar extreme. Everything about me is either on one end of the spectrum or the other!

One more thought: More than any other reason, I am not afraid of the future because of my faith. We all believe in different things, and I totally respect that. But I think we can all agree that when we face trying times, it helps to have someone/something we can turn to. My life is in God's hands and I know those are some mighty good hands to be in!

I'm sure the first few weeks will be some of the most difficult, what with all the adjustments I will have to make. Hopefully I will have access to the internet within a few days, if not immediately, so please check this site regularly and e-mail me with happy little notes!

5 Comments:

  • Your trip sounds amazing. I'm envious!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 08 October, 2005 09:08  

  • woooorrrddd
    i'll be praying for you starburst

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 08 October, 2005 10:55  

  • ㅎㅎㅎwow
    your blog looks good^^

    and fighting!
    i think your plan so nice~




    I hope you are well!

    Sincerely,

    hyun soo

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 09 October, 2005 10:03  

  • Good luck Stella! You'll be great down there and will learn lots and help out lots I'm sure.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11 October, 2005 00:05  

  • Hey,
    My name is Emily Presley. Evans McGowan, my boyfriend, directed me to your blog site because he said I might be interested in what you are doing. Right now I am in El Salvador, exploring the role that the catholic church has played in the recent history of certain parts of central america. We have already spent 5 weeks in Guatemala, and next on the roster is Nicaragua for 6 weeks with the general theme of ¨social change and sustainable development.¨ Regardless of the fact that I dont know you personally, I appreciated your thoughts written here and wish you the best of luck. Its encouraging to read about your enthusiasm to help and your willingness to explore the way in which you think its best to do it. I hope that your time in Honduras is full of LIFE...both the good times and the bad.
    Emily

    By Blogger Emily, at 12 October, 2005 00:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home