Pulapansak
On Tuesday we took all the children on an outing. We rented a bus and drove 3-4 hours to Pulapansak, near Lago (lake) de Yojoa, the biggest lake in Honduras. Before we left, I was just as (if not more) excited about the trip as the children were because I had been wanting to see more of Honduras. I had been looking forward to a peaceful day of swimming in the river, checking out the waterfall, eating, playing, and having a good time. Alas, the day did not go quite as I imagined…
We (8 adults, 41 children ranging from 3 weeks to 15 years old) left Las Tapias around 6:30am. We had already eaten breakfast, but when we stopped at a gas station at about 8:30am, we bought a bunch of snacks. The kids never say no to food! Unfortunately, most of the kids had never gone on a road trip before and were not used to such a long, windy, bumpy bus ride. As a result, all the food they had eaten did not settle very well in their stomachs, and about a quarter of the children got sick. I was the lucky person who was holding Kristofer when he started vomiting. Poor little Kristofer. And poor little me! The front of my windbreaker and track pants were covered in Kristofer’s breakfast/snacks. Kristofer was just the beginning. Soon after, kids started throwing up right and left. Fortunately, after Kristofer threw up all over me, the adults started handing out plastic bags to anyone who thought s/he might be feeling sick, so the situation was somewhat controlled. It was only about 9 or 9:30am when all this happened, and I realized then that I was in for a very long day.
One thing I don’t like about being an adult is having to be responsible for carrying everything (including the children). I wish I were a kid again and other people would carry things for me – and carry me! When we got to Pulapansak, we had to unload all the foodstuffs for lunch and carry it over to the picnic area. Even before we were completely unloaded and settled, the kids wanted to go swimming in the river. Because very few people actually knew how to swim, those of us who could swim had to be responsible for everyone else. So as you might have guessed, I ended up having to keep an eye out and worry about the kids who couldn’t swim. (What I really wanted to do was jump off the waterfall into the really deep part – I hear it’s been done many times before and a guide is present to explain how to do it!) I also tried to teach a few of them how to swim, but when I was teaching one kid, the rest of them would whine and yell “Me! Me! Me!”
Despite the challenges of the day, I am so glad we went on this outing because the children got an opportunity to see a beautiful part of their country. Almost everyone fell asleep on the bus ride home. I was sharing the seat with two kids (one of whom was Jimy) who were sprawled out with their heads on my left lap, and another kid who was sitting on my right lap with his head back on my shoulder (he had come up to me from the back of the bus, crying, after – I think – having a nightmare). It wasn’t the most comfortable position for me, but as I watched the kids sleeping soundly, I was filled with happiness and thanks. I knew it had been a beautiful day for them, and it was therefore a beautiful day for me.
Working with kids is always a test of patience. I still don’t know how elementary school teachers do it. I have so much respect for teachers in general! I still have a lot to learn, but I promise I am working to make myself a better person!
A few pictures from the outing:
The children checking out the water, anxiously awaiting for us adults to give the “ok” to jump in.
We swam in very tranquil waters (I prefer more action! ;).
Cataratas (waterfalls)
My cute little reptilian friend saying “hello!”
Another little friend.
Paty, Keyla, and Reina on a dock leading out to Lago de Yohoa.
This bird has a really beautiful voice. Any birdwatchers out there who know its name?
We (8 adults, 41 children ranging from 3 weeks to 15 years old) left Las Tapias around 6:30am. We had already eaten breakfast, but when we stopped at a gas station at about 8:30am, we bought a bunch of snacks. The kids never say no to food! Unfortunately, most of the kids had never gone on a road trip before and were not used to such a long, windy, bumpy bus ride. As a result, all the food they had eaten did not settle very well in their stomachs, and about a quarter of the children got sick. I was the lucky person who was holding Kristofer when he started vomiting. Poor little Kristofer. And poor little me! The front of my windbreaker and track pants were covered in Kristofer’s breakfast/snacks. Kristofer was just the beginning. Soon after, kids started throwing up right and left. Fortunately, after Kristofer threw up all over me, the adults started handing out plastic bags to anyone who thought s/he might be feeling sick, so the situation was somewhat controlled. It was only about 9 or 9:30am when all this happened, and I realized then that I was in for a very long day.
One thing I don’t like about being an adult is having to be responsible for carrying everything (including the children). I wish I were a kid again and other people would carry things for me – and carry me! When we got to Pulapansak, we had to unload all the foodstuffs for lunch and carry it over to the picnic area. Even before we were completely unloaded and settled, the kids wanted to go swimming in the river. Because very few people actually knew how to swim, those of us who could swim had to be responsible for everyone else. So as you might have guessed, I ended up having to keep an eye out and worry about the kids who couldn’t swim. (What I really wanted to do was jump off the waterfall into the really deep part – I hear it’s been done many times before and a guide is present to explain how to do it!) I also tried to teach a few of them how to swim, but when I was teaching one kid, the rest of them would whine and yell “Me! Me! Me!”
Despite the challenges of the day, I am so glad we went on this outing because the children got an opportunity to see a beautiful part of their country. Almost everyone fell asleep on the bus ride home. I was sharing the seat with two kids (one of whom was Jimy) who were sprawled out with their heads on my left lap, and another kid who was sitting on my right lap with his head back on my shoulder (he had come up to me from the back of the bus, crying, after – I think – having a nightmare). It wasn’t the most comfortable position for me, but as I watched the kids sleeping soundly, I was filled with happiness and thanks. I knew it had been a beautiful day for them, and it was therefore a beautiful day for me.
Working with kids is always a test of patience. I still don’t know how elementary school teachers do it. I have so much respect for teachers in general! I still have a lot to learn, but I promise I am working to make myself a better person!
A few pictures from the outing:
The children checking out the water, anxiously awaiting for us adults to give the “ok” to jump in.
We swam in very tranquil waters (I prefer more action! ;).
Cataratas (waterfalls)
My cute little reptilian friend saying “hello!”
Another little friend.
Paty, Keyla, and Reina on a dock leading out to Lago de Yohoa.
This bird has a really beautiful voice. Any birdwatchers out there who know its name?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home